Monday 10 December 2012

My story

High school years:

Since the day I got my period at 13 the only time that I had a normal and painless cycle was when I was on the pill... which didn't happen until I was 18. They were very irregular in length and I remember spending the first day of every cycle curled up in bed in tremendous pain.

College years:

I bumped around with 3 different types of birth control, first the pill, then the patch, then the pill, then I tried the Nuva Ring. I was highly irresponsible with taking the pill, and the patch was a perfect match but I didn't like the ring of dirt around the edges of the patch. The Nuva ring seemed a good fit until it made me repel my boyfriend(now husband) and revolt at the thought of him touching me. After stopping the ring things went back to normal but decided it was best to  scrap the ring and I was then au natural. My periods were few and far between. In the beginning they were short in length, by the time my husband and I got married they had started to become troublesome.

2008: I experienced a period that lasted 3 weeks and from beginning to end it never let up. This wasn't my only lengthy period so I was sent to an OBGYN. She put me on Prometrium to start regularly bringing on my periods. This seemed to work but I was concerned that since it was to bring on a period it was highly unlikely I was ovulating. My doctor "tried" to reassure me that if you have a period you DEFINITELY ovulate. I went for a few follow-ups. And was told things were fine.

2009: My GP does my yearly checkup and decided that this time he was going to do the whole pre-pregnancy check-up, just in case. He also encouraged me to try and get pregnant at this time because after a pregnancy things tend to go back to normal. LOL Anyway, all came back great. I started taking Vitex to try and get my periods on my own and shortly after I started to get them fairly regularly.

2010: On our 2nd anniversary we decided we wanted to start trying. Given my history we figured that it would be difficult for us so it was no surprise when a year came and went and we could have been referred to a fertility clinic. I wasn't interested in this at first so I didn't go back to our GP until December when I had a UTI (which I am very prone to). He decided it was time for us to go to the RE.

2012: January we started at the clinic. Initial tests showed C had a lower sperm count in the range of 15 million. From my ultrasounds I was told that they could tell I had very irregular periods. Not sure how but either way, they could and they were right. This is just a quick overview, I know there are plenty of details missing but I didn't keep track of everything as I probably should have.

Feb 14th: Happy Valentines to me ... HSG test was performed. Thankfully everything came back great, uterus is in great shape and the tubes appear to be completely unblocked.

March 27: Start taking Femera. No ovulation

May 1st: Start taking Chlomid. No ovulation

June 5th: Start taking a combo of Femera and Chlomid. No ovulation

July 17th: Start taking Bravera. No ovulation

Aug 5th: Day one begins and we are advised that we are waiting to hear about the IUI which should be any day so we sit this month out

Sept 17th: And this month too.

Oct Oct 24th: Consultation for IUI. Turns out I have a good looking follicle at 1.9, given trigger and advised on timed intercourse. Nadda but was worth a shot.

Nov 10th: Go in for day three blood and u/s... turns out there is a large cyst on my left ovary, approx. 5cmx5cm. Depending on how my estrogen comes back they will have it drained or get me to sit this cycle out. After results came back I was advised to come in the next day to have the cyst drained. This decision was made by an on-call doctor and my doctor later says he wouldn't have recommended as it is quite uncomfortable, but at least it allowed us to move forward with the IUI.

Nov 20th: Its the big day!! C's sperm came back at 42mil with 90% motility!! Things went great, not painful, only mildly uncomfortable. Beta is scheduled for Dec 8th.

Dec 5th: Day one shows up with a vengeance.

Dec 6th: Go in to have blood and u/s. The giant jerk cyst is back. Same size as it was before the draining. Talked with Dr M and he decided that it's time for some extra tests to be done. As far as my blood work is concerned my hormones are great, AMH is 35, C's sperm is seeming to be pretty good. The reason I'm not ovulating is unknown. So C is going for a DNA fragment sperm test, likely Monday Dec. 17th. Depending on the outcome I will most likely be going for a laproscopy. Based on my period pain its possible that I have mild endo. We are sitting this cycle out again but we'll keep on practising.




No comments:

Post a Comment